Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
International education strategy: global growth and prosperity
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Sets out how government and the education sector will build on UK strengths to take advantage of global opportunities.
This strategy sets out how the government and the whole education sector will work together to take advantage of new opportunities around the globe. It aims to build on our strengths in higher and further education, in our schools overseas, in our educational technology and products and services, and in delivering English language training. The strategy covers:
- our warm welcome for international students: explaining that there is no cap on the number of international students who can come to the UK, and supporting students when things go wrong in their home country
- supporting transnational education: supporting British schools and colleges operating overseas, developing ‘end-to-end’ English language training, and strengthening quality assurance
- leading the world in education technology: actively encouraging development of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), and launching a design call, through the Technology Strategy Board, on commercialising education technology
- a new relationship with emerging powers: prioritising UK engagement with key partners, doubling investment in development higher education partnerships and expanding the number of Chevening scholarships for study in the UK
- building the UK brand and seizing opportunities: developing a new ‘Education is GREAT Britain’ campaign, and the Education UK Unit will help build consortia to take up high value opportunities overseas
This will ensure we grow both our economy and our wider links with partners around the world.
- HEGlobal links to expert advice and practical support for higher education (HE) institutions and providers to expand internationally
- the Technology Strategy Board provides information for start-up companies on their design call asking innovators for designs to exploit modern education technology
- UK Trade & Investment gives advice on international education exports for UK businesses
- UK Export Finance explains government support for exports for UK businesses
The education strategy is part of the government’s industrial strategy.
The international education infographic is available in other formats from Flickr: Industrial sector infographics.