Inspecting boarding and residential provision in schools: guidance for inspectors
- Part of:
- Ofsted inspections of boarding and residential schools
- First published:
- 19 September 2014
- Last updated:
- 1 April 2016, see all updates
For inspection to 31 March 2017.
Handbook for inspections of boarding and residential provision in schools for inspection to 31 March 2017
MS Word Document, 834KB
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This document is for inspection to 31 March 2017. For inspection from 1 April 2017 please use the social care common inspection framework (SCCIF).
This guidance is designed to assist inspectors when conducting inspections of boarding and residential provision in schools. It informs schools about how Ofsted inspects their boarding and residential provision.
The guidance should be read together with the framework for inspection.
Published: 19 September 2014
Updated: 1 April 2016
- Updated for new inspection year starting 1 April 2016, including amendments to annex A and reference to the new children’s summary.
- Revised to incorporate minor clarifications, including the process inspectors must follow when they have judged boarding or residential provision to be inadequate.
- Published today: inspection handbook for inspection from 1 April 2015.
- First published.