- Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
- Part of:
- Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA): forms and guidance
- 3 September 2015
- Last updated:
- 13 July 2017, see all updates
- Applies to:
- England, Scotland, and Wales
How to avoid the top 10 reasons heavy trailers don't pass the Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) inspection.
This guide tells you how to avoid the top 10 reasons that heavy trailers and other vehicles in the O3/4 inspection category fail the IVA inspection.
Full compliance with this guide doesn’t guarantee a pass. You’ll need to view the IVA Inspection manual for the full requirements and testing procedures needed to get your trailer passed.
You must apply for vehicle approval if you’ve:
- built a trailer
- rebuilt a trailer
- radically altered a trailer
- imported a trailer
Vehicles in the O3/4 category are defined as trailers designed and constructed for the carriage of goods, and weigh over 3.5 tonnes.
Published: 3 September 2015
Updated: 13 July 2017
- Updated guidance on how to avoid the top 10 reasons heavy trailers don't pass the Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) inspection.
- First published.