Income Tax: claim a pension death benefit lump sum tax repayment if you’ve stopped working (P50Z(DB))
Use form P50Z(DB) to claim back tax HMRC owes you on a pension death benefit lump sum payment.
PDF, 250KB, 5 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
You can use this form to claim back tax HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) owes you on a pension death benefit lump sum payment. You claim back the tax if you’ve taken a pension lump sum payment which used up all of your pension pot and any of the following apply:
- you aren’t claiming one of the taxable benefits listed below:
- Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- taxable Incapacity Benefit (IB), IB is usually taxable if paid for more than 28 weeks
- contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- you don’t expect to go back to work
- you’ve permanently retired and aren’t getting a pension from a previous employer
- you’ve returned to full-time study
Income Tax: pension death benefit lump sum: repayment claim (tax year 2016 to 2017) (P53Z(DB))
Use form P53Z(DB) to claim back tax HMRC owes you on a pension death benefit lump sum payment you recently received which used up all your fund, but are working or receiving benefits.
Income Tax: flexibly accessed pension death benefit payment: repayment claim (tax year 2016 to 2017) (P55(DB))
Use form P55(DB) to claim back tax HMRC owes you if you’ve flexibly accessed your death benefit pension, or you’ve only taken part of your pension pot and will not be taking regular payments, or the pension body is unable to make any tax refund.
Published: 6 April 2016
Updated: 4 July 2017
- New Welsh print and post interactive form available for form P50Z(DB).
- A new version of the form has been added which you can fill in on screen and then print and post it.
- First published.