Update on how we are implementing improvements in skills for better quality further education.
In the ‘Review of further education and sixth form college governance’ Matthew Hancock made a commitment to write to all further education (FE) and sixth form colleges to provide updates on policy developments.
This is the second letter. It covers implementing ‘Rigour and responsiveness in skills’ and also:
- raising the participation age
- study programmes
- new requirements on English and maths
- a more robust accountability framework for 16 to 19 year olds
- the apprenticeships implementation plan
- the vision for careers guidance and advice
- proposals for new legislation to improve services to young people with learning difficulties and disabilities
- the newly established Education and Training Foundation
- the role of governors with a plan of action to improve support
- the appointment of the principal regulator for FE colleges
See also the first letter to FE and sixth form colleges: Further education and sixth form college governance review.