How to obtain UK criminal record checks in China

Advice on how to obtain criminal record checks for use in China, covering time spent in the UK.


How to obtain UK criminal record checks in China

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email . Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


China’s visa regulations state that proof of no criminal record is required for foreign nationals applying for a work or resident permit. To obtain a criminal record check for use in China, covering time spent in the UK you can:

  • contact the UK police authorities nearest to where you lived at the time
  • seek records via the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO)
  • if you work or are seeking to work with children, you can also apply via ACRO for an International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC). The ICPC is a police check available to overseas schools and organisations with no formal link to the UK, who are recruiting British nationals (or any national who has spent time living in the UK) to work with children. Note that you, not your employer, must apply for an ICPC. Employers can ask you to provide an ICPC or can contact the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
  • check the information from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS - formerly the Criminal Records Bureau) to see if a DBS check is suitable for you or your employer’s requirements Guide: Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

The Chinese authorities may ask for this document to be “legalised”. The process of legalisation involves submitting a UK public document to the Legalisation Office and having this document counter-signed by the Chinese Embassy in London.

Published 1 November 2013