This guide is for staff who deal with Housing Benefit overpayments for local authorities and housing authorities.
This guide covers all aspects of Housing Benefit overpayments, including:
- what is an overpayment
- classification and recovery of overpayments
- calculating overpayments
- recovering overpayments
- decision notices
- courts and civil proceedings
- the legal requirements
This guidance is not intended to be an authoritative statement of the law. The law is set out in the:
- Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992
- Social Security Administration Act 1992, as amended
- regulations and orders made under those acts
Good practice guide
There is also a good practice guide for local authority staff on recovering Housing Benefit overpayments.