High speed rail: investing in Britain's future consultation summary report
This independent report summarises the responses to the government's consultation 'High speed rail: Investing in Britain's future'.
Ref: PPU4271 PDF, 4.71MB, 231 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email HS2enquiries@hs2.org.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This report provides a summary of the responses to the government’s consultation on ‘High speed rail: Investing in Britain’s future’.
The government believes investing in a national high speed rail network is the best value for money solution for enhancing rail capacity and performance in the United Kingdom. It launched a consultation on the proposed high speed rail strategy and its proposed route for an initial high speed line from London to the West Midlands. The consultation ran for 5 months, closing on 29 July 2011.
The government received 54,909 responses to this consultation. About 40% of the responses were submitted through the consultation website; the remaining 60% included paper response forms, individual letters and emails, detailed reports and organised responses. Close to 15,000 responses were identified as part of organised submissions. A response is considered part of an organised submission if its content is identical or nearly identical to numerous other responses, eg consisting of a pre-printed response postcard to which respondents add their details.
Members of the public submitted the great majority of responses. Organisations which responded included statutory agencies, local authorities, businesses and various representative groups. Responses came from regions across the UK, with concentrations in postcode areas in proximity to the proposed route from London to the West Midlands.
Download the document
Please note: ‘Table A2.2: responding organisations by sector’ in ‘Appendix 2: list of participating organisations’ of the above named report should include references to the following organisations and elected representatives:
- Christopher Pincher - Member of Parliament for Tamworth
- Kirklees Council
- Town and Country Planning Association
- Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council
In the same table, ‘Iain Steward - Member of Parliament for Milton Keynes South’ should be listed as ‘Iain Stewart’.
The first paragraph under the heading ‘Question 6’ on page 15 of the above report should read as follows:
A total of 36,918 consultation responses comment on the Appraisal of Sustainability (AoS), including 614 which express satisfaction or endorsement and 158 which express concerns that the AoS is insufficient.
Order printed copies
To order printed copies of this report please phone Department for Transport Publications on 0300 123 1102.
Two addendum reports to the ‘High speed rail: investing in Britain’s future consultation summary report’ have since been published and separate written statements have been issued to Parliament about them on 17 July and 18 September 2012.
Download the documents
- High speed rail: Investing in Britain’s future consultation summary report addendum 2, 24 September 2012
- High speed rail, Investing in Britain’s future consultation summary report addendum, 20 July 2012
- High speed rail: Investing in Britain’s future - the government’s decisions
- High speed rail: Investing in Britain’s future - decisions and next steps
- High Speed 2: Phase 1 Consultation Update, written ministerial statement by Secretary of State for Transport, 17 July 2012
- High Speed Rail: Phase 1 Consultation Update, written ministerial statement by Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport, 18 September 2012
- Review of the government’s strategy for a national high speed rail network
- High speed rail strategic alternatives study: Update following consultation
- Review of strategic alternatives to High Speed Two
- Economic case for HS2: Updated appraisal of transport user benefits and wider economic benefits
- Economic case for HS2: Value for money statement
- Review of the technical specification for high speed rail in the UK
- Review of possible refinements to the proposed HS2 London to West Midlands route
- Summary of effects of HS2 London to West Midlands route refinements
- Review of HS2 London to West Midlands route selection and speed
- Review of HS2 London to West Midlands appraisal of sustainability
- Review of property issues
- HS2 revised line of route maps
- Do you think you are affected by the HS2 route?