High hedge: appeal against the councils decision on a high hedge

Local authorities (councils) have the power to deal with complaints about high hedges, this form is to appeal against the council's decision.


High Hedges appeal form

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 (the Act) gives local authorities (this may be a district council or a unitary authority but we will call them “Councils”) powers to deal with complaints about high hedges, to make decisions and issue remedial orders. Section 71 gives people who are unhappy with a council’s decision a right of appeal to the Secretary of State.

Your appeal and a copy of the decision which is the subject of your appeal must reach the Planning Inspectorate within 28 days from:  * the date the remedial notice is issued; or * the date of the Council’s notification that it has decided to take no action in respect of the hedge; or * the date that the Council gives notice that it has decided to withdraw a remedial notice or to waive or relax its requirements.