Guidance on registering town and village greens.
This guidance is for common registration authorities in England and outlines changes to Sections 15A to 15C of the Commons Act 2006. These authorities maintain the registers of common land and town and village greens in England.
The guidance reflects a number of significant changes to the law on registering new town and village greens under the Commons Act 2006, made in April 2013 under the Growth and Infrastructure Act.
Published: 27 August 2013
Updated: 1 December 2016
- Guidance updated to reflect changes made by the Commons (Registration of Town or Village Greens) and Dedicated Highways (Landowner Statements and Declarations) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2016.
- Replaced document as there was some text missing
- Version 6 was amended to take account of the amended list of trigger and terminating events introduced by the Commons (Town and Village Greens) (Trigger and Terminating Events) Order 2014. Paragraph 6 now also refers to the guidance for the completion of form CA16.
- Version 4 was amended at paragraph 23 to qualify the statement that whilst it is possible to make a single application to deposit a highways statement, lodge a highways declaration and deposit a landowner statement, in relation to the former two, these can only be done in relation to different areas of land.
- Version 4 published. Previous version was amended to make clear Defra’s view that for a declaration to be effective as evidence against presumed dedication it must be lodged after the deposit of a statement, not at the same time.
- Replaced publication: Version 1 was amended to correct paragraph 26 which incorrectly stated that, in relation to the increase of the 10 year period for highways declarations to 20 years, it applied retrospectively. This is not the case: the 20 year period only applies to applications submitted on or after 1 October 2013.
- First published.