Get medical proof of domestic violence

Use this letter to get evidence of any illness, physical or mental harm caused by domestic violence, if you're applying for legal aid.


To ask for confirmation from the medical staff who treated you:

  • fill in the sample letter as best you can
  • send it to the doctor, midwife, nurse practitioner, psychologist or health visitor who saw you

If you can’t remember who treated you, contact your GP or the hospital you visited. Another health professional will be able to help.

You may have to pay a fee.

You can use the medical letter as evidence when you apply for legal aid to divorce or separate from an abusive partner.

It won’t count if you were treated more than 5 years ago.