Foreign and Commonwealth Office's (FCO) current list of approved British English-language names for countries and territories.
These are the current British English-language names and descriptive terms for countries and territories, as well as their citizens. These names are approved by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
The information in the list of country names comes from FCO’s country register. The country register also contains historical names for countries.
In both lists, ‘country’ is the 2-letter ISO 3166-1 code for the country.
The ‘name’ is FCO’s approved name for the country. This should always be used to describe the country.
The citizen names in the lists aren’t the legal names for the citizen. They don’t relate to the citizen’s ethnicity.
Read the notes if you need any more information about the country and territory names in these lists.
Published: 8 March 2013
Updated: 25 October 2017
- Country names list updated.
- Country names and Country and Territory names (HTML) files updated.
- Updated lists of countries and territories.
- FCO geographical names index - updated attachment.
- Updated with latest information.
- Updated with amended information.
- Update of both documents.
- First published.
- Updated Document.