Government and Ofgem are conducting a joint review of the current retail market design.
The review will:
- identify ways for consumers to benefit from the transition to a smarter, more flexible energy system
- ensure appropriate protections once the energy price cap is no longer in place
- enable more innovation and new business models to enter the market
- provide more opportunities for consumers to benefit, such as ways to sell their excess energy or trade it with their neighbours
Throughout the review we will be seeking views from:
- the energy industry
- consumer protection groups
We will make further documents relating to the review available here.
Consultation on flexible and responsive energy retail markets
On 22 July 2019 BEIS and Ofgem launched a joint consultation on flexible and responsive energy retail markets which closed on 16 September.
It represents an important mid-point for the review and explains our emerging thinking on the challenges and available options. Combined with further engagement, your responses will help inform and shape the next stage of the review.