Fuel Duty: hydrocarbon oil used as fuel to produce energy for the treatment or production of hydrocarbon oil (HO53)

Use the online form service or the postal forms HO53 to request approval to claim partial repayment of Hydrocarbon Oil Duty.


Apply online (sign in to or set up a Government Gateway account)

Apply using the print and post form (HO53)

Apply using the postal form (HO53)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You should apply for approval if you pay the rebated rate of Excise Duty on oil used to fuel a power plant that treats or makes hydrocarbon oil. To apply, you can either:

  • use the online form service (sign in to, or set up a Government Gateway account)
  • fill in the form on-screen, print and post it to HMRC
  • print the postal form, fill in by hand and post to HMRC

Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Before you start using the postal forms

If you’re using an older browser, such as Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You cannot save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

Published 15 July 2014
Last updated 16 May 2016 + show all updates
  1. An online form service is now available.
  2. First published.