Fuel Duty: claim for repayment of Excise Duty - mineral oil put to certain uses (HO29)

Use the online form to reclaim Excise Duty on mineral oils put to certain uses.


Claim a repayment of Excise Duty using the online form

Claim a repayment of Excise Duty using the postal form


You must be an approved person to be able to make a claim for repayment.

The claim for repayment must be for an amount over £250 and the claim must cover a period of at least 2 months but not more than 3 years.

You can either:

  • use the online form service (sign in to, or set up a Government Gateway account)
  • fill in the form on-line, print and post it to HM Revenue and Customs

If you use the online form, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.

Before you start using the postal form

If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so we suggest you gather all your information together before you begin to fill it in.

Excise Notice 184a: mineral oil put to certain use - Excise Duty Relief
Guidance on getting relief from Excise Duty on oil put to certain uses. This is known as the Industrial Relief Scheme or the Tied Oils Scheme.

Rates and allowances: Excise Duty - Hydrocarbon oils
Guidance on the Excise Duty rates for oils.

Published 4 April 2014
Last updated 14 July 2016 + show all updates
  1. An online forms service is now available.
  2. First published.