Fit note: guidance for GPs
Information for GPs about how to complete each section of the fit note, with case studies to show different situations.
PDF, 376KB, 28 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
A new version of the fit note is now available but old ones can still be used. The advisory notes now include information about Fit for Work and the collection of anonymous fit note data. We will revise the guidance to reflect the changes.
Guidance for GPs about how to complete each section of the fit note, including the reassessment box, comments section and return-to-work tick boxes.
The guidance is based on research evidence and feedback from doctors, patients and employers. It is designed to help doctors make the best use of the fit note to support their patients, using case studies to illustrate different situations.
This updates previous guidance, covers computer-generated fit notes and has a section with instructions for gaining further support.
You can also use the guidance for Continuing Professional Development and revalidation purposes.
Published: 1 March 2013
Updated: 14 December 2016
- Added this note to the page – A new version of the fit note is now available but old ones can still be used. The advisory notes now include information about Fit for Work and the collection of anonymous fit note data. We will revise the guidance to reflect the changes.
- Republished guidance for GPs with minor changes.
- This guidance has been removed temporarily to be revised.
- Published updated guidance.
- We've removed the guidance while we update it.
- Added revised fitnote - removed phone number for Occupation Health Advice for England only, on page 23.
- First published.