Financial sanctions, Iran (nuclear proliferation)
- HM Treasury and Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation
- Part of:
- Financial sanctions: Regime-specific lists and releases and Counter-terrorism
- 10 June 2013
- Last updated:
- 27 June 2017, see all updates
Iran is currently subject to financial sanctions. This document contains the current list of designated persons relating to proliferation sensitive nuclear activities.
PDF, 63.7KB, 14 pages
PDF, 160KB, 3 pages
PDF, 180KB, 4 pages
In 2006, the UN Security Council imposed, amongst other matters, asset freeze restrictions on persons determined by the UN as engaging in, directly associating with, or providing support for, Iran’s proliferation-sensitive nuclear activities or the development of nuclear weapon delivery systems.
Between 2007 and 2012, the European Commission implemented further measures. Following decades of negotiation, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA) was implemented on 16 January 2016, significantly reducing the scope of financial sanctions against Iran.
Full information on the EU sanctions lifted under the JCPoA is provided in an EU Information Note. It should be noted that a number of individuals and entities remain subject to the restrictive measures contained within Council regulation 267/2012, and a number of Iranian persons also remain listed under the Iran (Human Rights), Syria, and Terrorism and Terrorist Financing regimes.
The economic and financial sanctions relief provided under the JCPoA is described in HM Treasury’s Notice.
Read more about the UK’s sanctions policy in relation to Iran.
Iran (nuclear proliferation) – Supreme Court judgement in Bank Mellat v. Her Majesty’s Treasury (No. 2)
Judgement was handed down on 19 June 2013 in relation to Bank Mellat’s challenge to the Financial Restrictions (Iran) Order 2009 (SI 2009/2725). The Supreme Court found in favour of Bank Mellat. The Financial Restrictions (Iran) Order 2009 ceased to have effect in October 2010.
Current EU regulations
View the Consolidated version of Council Regulation 267/2012 concerning restrictive measures against Iran (nuclear proliferation).
While the link above is described as the latest consolidated version of the relevant EU Regulation on the EUR-Lex website, readers are to be aware that amendments to the Regulation are not always immediately included in that consolidated version. Accordingly HM Treasury does not accept any liability for possible omissions of relevant data or mistakes, and for any use made of the consolidated version. The most recent amendments to the implementing Regulation can be found by searching for them individually at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/homepage.html
Current UK regulations
Financial sanctions guidance
Read the Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation’s guide to financial sanctions.
Licences authorise certain activities or types of transaction that would otherwise be prohibited by asset freezing legislation. Download a licence application.
Published: 10 June 2013
Updated: 27 June 2017
- Updated with latest HM Treasury notice, 27/06/2017, Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 2017/1124)
- Updated with: HM Treasury notice, 18/01/2017, Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 2017/77)
- Updated with: HM Treasury notice, 24/10/2016, Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Judgements of the General Court)
- Page information presentation updated (how we link to EU regulations) - no new notice
- New notice 03/08/2016 Iran (Judgement of the General Court)
- New notice - Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Judgements of the General Court)
- New notice Iran Regulation 2016/74 added
- Web page text updated to reflect the latest notice.
- Updated due to new notice: Iran (Nuclear Proliferation): economic and financial sanctions relief under the JCPoA
- Updated web text to reflect Adoption Day (18 October) under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and the publication of amended EU regulations
- New notice 2015/1327 and 2015/1328 added
- Notice 29/07/15 Iran (Judgment of the General Court of 22 June 2015)
- Updated with latest information on sanctions relief
- New Notice_2015_1001
- new notice
- Updated due to new notice, Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 2015/230)
- New notice Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 1202/2014) added and consolidated list.
- added notice and updated list
- added section: 21 July 2014 – limited sanctions relief remains in place until 24 November 2014
- added notice (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 397/2014)
- added Notice 27/02/14 Iran (Judgment of the General Court of 12 December 2013 )
- Link to Council Regulation 42/2014 added
- added notice 22/01/14 Iran (Judgment of the General Court of 12 November 2013 ); updated consolidated list
- added notice Iran (Reg 42/2014)
- added notice Iran (Reg 1361/2013)
- added 27/11/13 Iran (Reg 1203/2013)
- added Iran (Reg 1154/2013)
- added Treasury Notice, 29/07/13 Iran (Judgment of the General Court of 16 May 2012 – Transfo v Council)
- Removed: 21.11.2012 Financial Restrictions (Iran) Order 2012
- First published.