Iran is currently subject to financial sanctions imposed by the United Nations. This page contains the current list of designated persons, listed because of their proliferation-sensitive nuclear activities. It also contains information on the regulations.
PDF, 63.7KB, 14 pages
PDF, 160KB, 3 pages
PDF, 180KB, 4 pages
In 2006, the UN Security Council imposed asset freeze restrictions on those it had determined were engaging in, directly associating with, or providing support for, Iran’s proliferation-sensitive nuclear activities or the development of nuclear weapon delivery systems.
Between 2007 and 2012, the European Commission implemented further measures.
Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA)
On January 2016, following decades of negotiation, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA) was implemented, significantly reducing financial sanctions against Iran.
An EU Information Note provides full information on the EU sanctions lifted. However, it should be noted that some individuals and entities remain subject to the EU restrictive measures (Council regulation 267/2012).
You can find the most recent amendments to the Regulation by searching on EUR-Lex – an online database that provides free access to EU law, international agreements and other public documents. Enter the Regulation number into the search bar, open the relevant page and click ‘document information’.
Read more about the UK’s sanctions policy in relation to Iran.
Iran (nuclear proliferation) – Supreme Court judgement in Bank Mellat v. Her Majesty’s Treasury (No. 2)
On 19 June 2013, the Supreme Court found in favour of Bank Mellat in relation to their challenge to the Financial Restrictions (Iran) Order 2009 (SI 2009/2725). These restrictions ceased to have effect in October 2010.
Published: 10 June 2013
Updated: 8 August 2017
- Updated text on the page to improve clarity
- Updated with latest HM Treasury notice, 27/06/2017, Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 2017/1124)
- Updated with: HM Treasury notice, 18/01/2017, Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 2017/77)
- Updated with: HM Treasury notice, 24/10/2016, Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Judgements of the General Court)
- Page information presentation updated (how we link to EU regulations) - no new notice
- New notice 03/08/2016 Iran (Judgement of the General Court)
- New notice - Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Judgements of the General Court)
- New notice Iran Regulation 2016/74 added
- Web page text updated to reflect the latest notice.
- Updated due to new notice: Iran (Nuclear Proliferation): economic and financial sanctions relief under the JCPoA
- Updated web text to reflect Adoption Day (18 October) under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and the publication of amended EU regulations
- New notice 2015/1327 and 2015/1328 added
- Notice 29/07/15 Iran (Judgment of the General Court of 22 June 2015)
- Updated with latest information on sanctions relief
- New Notice_2015_1001
- new notice
- Updated due to new notice, Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 2015/230)
- New notice Iran (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 1202/2014) added and consolidated list.
- added notice and updated list
- added section: 21 July 2014 – limited sanctions relief remains in place until 24 November 2014
- added notice (Nuclear Proliferation) (Reg 397/2014)
- added Notice 27/02/14 Iran (Judgment of the General Court of 12 December 2013 )
- Link to Council Regulation 42/2014 added
- added notice 22/01/14 Iran (Judgment of the General Court of 12 November 2013 ); updated consolidated list
- added notice Iran (Reg 42/2014)
- added notice Iran (Reg 1361/2013)
- added 27/11/13 Iran (Reg 1203/2013)
- added Iran (Reg 1154/2013)
- added Treasury Notice, 29/07/13 Iran (Judgment of the General Court of 16 May 2012 – Transfo v Council)
- Removed: 21.11.2012 Financial Restrictions (Iran) Order 2012
- First published.