Excise movements: claim for repayment of Excise Duty (HM6)

Use the form to claim a repayment of Excise Duty.


Claim a repayment using the postal form


You can claim a repayment of Excise Duty if you’ve already told us about the overpayment on your return, and it can’t be offset on a future return.

To complete this form you may need a:

  • VAT registration number (If applicable)
  • deferment approval number (DAN)

Before you start

If you’re using an older browser, for example Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You may need to give HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) extra information to support your application.

Apply by post

Fill in the form on-screen, print it off and send it to us along with any extra information.

If you post the form you can’t track its progress online.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so you should have all the information you’ll need with you before you start to fill it in.

Application to register for the Registered Consignee scheme (HM1)
Use form HM1 to apply for approval as a Registered Consignee.

Return of Excise duty for Registered Consignees or Registered Commercial Importers (HM2)
Use form HM2 to submit your return of excise duty as a Registered Consignee or Registered Commercial Importer.

Application to register as a Registered Commercial Importer (HM3)
Use form HM3 to apply for approval as a Registered Commercial Importer.

Request to import excise goods bought duty-paid in another EU Member State (HM4)
Use form HM4 to apply for approval to import duty-paid excise goods from other EU countries into the UK. Once accepted by HMRC, it will be endorsed to prove that UK duty has been secured on the goods.

Authority to use another trader’s deferment approval number (HM8)
Use form HM8 when you need authority to account for Excise Duty by using another trader’s DAN

Application to register as a tax representative (HM9)
Use form HM9 to apply for approval as a UK tax representative.

Return of Excise Duty for tax representatives (HM10)
Use form HM10 if you’re a UK tax representative that needs to declare the UK duty payable on goods imported under your approval.

Published 12 August 2014
Last updated 12 May 2017 + show all updates
  1. The submittable iForm and its instructions has been removed from GOV.UK
  2. New online form added and details under 'before you start' updated.
  3. The online form is under construction and will be available soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  4. A new online form has been added and details under 'Before you start' have been updated.
  5. An online forms service is now available.
  6. First published.