Election guidance for civil servants
Guidance on the conduct of civil servants in the pre-election period (often referred to as 'purdah').
PDF, 117KB, 7 pages
PDF, 198KB, 10 pages
PDF, 455KB, 39 pages
PDF, 197KB, 10 pages
PDF, 182KB, 8 pages
PDF, 119KB, 6 pages
This guidance covers the conduct of civil servants in the run up to local, national, European elections. It also covers the referendum on the voting system for the UK Parliament, the Scottish referendum and the EU referendum.
Published: 4 February 2011
Updated: 26 January 2017
- Northern Ireland election 2017 guidance added.
- Added May 2016 elections guidance
- General election 2015: guidance for civil servants published
- Removed out-of-date Scotland referendum guidance.
- Published Scottish referendum guidance for UK civil servants that takes effect from 22 August 2014.
- Scottish referendum guidance updated.
- May 2014 European Parliament and local authority elections guidance added.
- First published.