Statutory guidance for local authorities on the provision of early education and childcare.
This guidance is for local authorities.
On 1 September 2017 a new version of the guidance will replace the existing guidance.
The document valid until 31 August 2017 includes information on:
- the extension of the early education entitlement for 2 year olds
- the introduction of childminder agencies
- providers who do not actively promote fundamental British values or promote views or theories as fact which is contrary to established scientific or historical evidence and explanations
The document valid from 1 September 2017 also includes information on:
- the introduction of 30 hours free childcare
- how local authorities should pay providers to deliver free places
- the requirement that local authorities publish information about childcare in their area, including free childcare entitlements
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.
A model agreement for free early years provision and childcare is also available.