Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Description of the GCSE and A level marking process
An overview of how GCSEs and A levels are marked: focusing on how exam boards control the quality of marking of exams.
The main steps in the process are:
- Recruiting and retaining examiners.
- Training examiners.
- Pre-standardisation and standardisation.
- Checking traditionally marked scripts/papers.
- Checking scripts marked on-screen.
- Carrying out post-marking checks.
This guide doesn’t try to provide an exhaustive description of the marking process, nor identify every instance where practices vary between exam boards.