Deprivation of liberty safeguards: Supreme Court judgments
- Department of Health
- Part of:
- Mental capacity act 2005: deprivation of liberty safeguards and Compassionate care in the NHS
- First published:
- 2 April 2014
- Last updated:
- 14 December 2015, see all updates
- Applies to:
Guidance on deprivation of liberty safeguards (DoLS) as a result of the Supreme Court judgments.
The Department has updated its guidance as a result of Supreme Court judgments which have significant implications for the use of deprivation of liberty safeguards (DoLS).
This also includes examples of actions taken by local partners in responding to increased numbers of DoLS applications.
The contents of this note are specifically addressed to all those who are:
- involved in the assessment and/or authorisation of a deprivation of liberty
- involved in the care of individuals who may lack capacity
- responsible for policies and procedures relating to the care of individuals who may lack capacity
Published: 2 April 2014
Updated: 14 December 2015
- Updated guidance on Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards as a result of the Supreme Court Judgments.
- First published.