Dealing with a protected person’s property: wills, gifts, settlements (COP GN8)

How to apply for a statutory will, codicil (change to a will), gift, or other settlement of property in relation to a person protected by the Court of Protection.


Applications for statutory wills, gifts, settlements and other dealings with P's property (COP GN8)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


A protected person is referred to as ‘P’ in this guidance.

To apply, you must complete:

You might be able to apply for help with Court of Protection fees.

Published 1 December 2017