This report details the 6 commitments the government has made to the public to end variation in end of life care across the health system by 2020.
These are to support people approaching the end of their lives to:
- have honest discussions with care professionals about their needs and preferences
- make informed choices about their care
- develop and document a personalised care plan
- discuss their personalised care plans with care professionals
- involve their family, carers and those important to them in all aspects of their care as much as they want
- know who to contact for help and advice at any time.
The report is in response to an independent review on choice in end of life care.