China Prosperity Strategic Programme Fund (SPF)
The purpose of the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Prosperity Fund is to contribute towards the policy goal of creating the conditions for global growth. In China, the fund is known as the China Prosperity Strategic Programme Fund (SPF) programme. The programme has five strands, each consistent with the global FCO Prosperity Fund’s goal of creating the conditions for global growth, and supports delivery of China’s 12th Five Year Plan (2011-15) as well as building ambition for the 13th Five Year Plan (2016-20):
Five policy strands:
- Financial sector reform: liberalising and opening-up the financial sector for efficient and sustainable growth.
- Structural reform: opening new markets and rebalancing the economy towards consumer spending for sustainable global growth.
- Business environment and trade: Improving the business environment for domestic and foreign businesses and breaking down barriers to trade and investment.
- Energy Security: Transparent and sustainable energy use for enhanced security of resources.
- Low carbon/climate change: driving a clean and low carbon transition, boosting green growth and helping to prevent dangerous climate change.
Projects funded through Prosperity SPF must:
- Deliver real, measurable policy outcomes.
- Demonstrate opportunities for UK-China policy collaboration.
- Involve exchange of policy and commercial expertise through a UK/foreign and Chinese implementing partnership or substantial UK/foreign engagement.
- Provide evidence of Chinese government support including through co-funding.
Funded projects will need to contribute towards one or more of the objectives and indicators included in the strategy document.
Programme Officers from the British Embassy in Beijing and Consulates General in Shanghai, Chongqing, Guangzhou and Hong Kong work together with our project partners to deliver a successful and high impact programme aligned with Chinese and UK priorities.
Further information and case studies of our programme work can be found in our 2013/14 strategy and the attached SPF publication (links below).
Call for Proposals - Bidding Round 2014/15
The SPF currently has funding available for short targeted projects. Projects must align with the SPF Strategy (find link on webpage) and must complete by the end of the financial year (31/03/2015). Bids must be submitted in the full proposal form by the 15th August. For the proposal form template and additional information please contact the China Prosperity SPF Programme Team at PFGeneralQueries@fco.gov.uk.
Successful projects will start in May 2014. Multi-year projects are subject to review after the end of each financial year to continue funding.
Stage 1: Concept bid development phase. Implementing organisations develop bids in consultation with the Embassy and submit concept bids by the deadline (using concept bid form on website).
Stage 2: Approval of concept bids. Concept bids appraised on strategic fit, project design, support from key stakeholders/beneficiaries and value for money.
Implementers informed of selected concept bids and will be requested to develop full bids.
Stage 3: Approval of full bids. Implementing organisations submit full bids (templates provided by programme team). Only projects approved at concept stage submit full bids. Implementers will be informed of approved bids.
Proposals should be submitted by email to the SPF programme team at PFGeneralQueries@fco.gov.uk by 5pm 10 January (China time)
The Prosperity SPF Programme Strategy and Proposal bid forms and guidance can be found below. Bids will need to be submitted in English and Chinese versions.
- Call for proposals: 27 November 2013 to 10 January 2014 (Economic and Energy 24 January 2014)
- Results announced for concept bids: late February 2014
- Full bids submitted: late March 2014
- Results announced for full bids: mid April 2014
- Projects to start: beginning of May 2014
Attachments to download:
Prosperity SPF Programme Strategy ( English Version & Chinese Version )
Prosperity SPF Project Concept Bid Form ( English Version & Chinese Version )
Prosperity SPF Project Concept Completion Guidance ( English Version )
Template Agreeable Grant Contract ( English Version )
Example Concept Proposal ( English Version )
Implementer must submit proposals with fully completed checklist ( English Version & Chinese Version )
If your proposal is accepted at concept stage, you will be required to submit a more detailed bid form and more detailed activity based budget (ABB). The SPF programme team will provide you with the template documents.
If you have any questions regarding the bidding round or want to know more about the China Prosperity SPF programme, please contact the programme team through email at PFGeneralQueries@fco.gov.uk and leave your name, contact details, and questions.
Implementing organisations operating in China’s provinces may also want to contact the consulates in Shanghai, Chongqing and Guangzhou directly.
Implementers Briefing Workshop (For Concept ideas in Climate Change, Energy, and Green Investment area)
The Programme team will organise a workshop (to be delivered in English) for potential implementers in the area of climate change, energy, and green finance, subject to enough expressions of interest received.
Time: 11th December 2013
Venue: Beijing (in English)
The workshop will
- Brief on Prosperity SPF strategy
- Explain the Prosperity SPF requirement on bid form
- Provide opportunities for potential implementers to discuss concept ideas with relevant policy leads and project managers
If you are interested in attending the workshop, please fill in the form and send to PFGeneralQueries@fco.gov.uk (Beijing) 2nd December 2013. The programme team will send you a formal invite.