This statutory guidance is for:
- children’s services social workers
- front-line managers with particular responsibilities in relation to looked-after children
- lead members in local authorities
- directors of children’s services
- managers of services for looked-after children
- commissioners of services for looked-after children
- virtual headteachers
- independent reviewing officers (IROs)
- other professionals with responsibilities in relation to looked-after children
It will also be relevant to:
- children’s services partner agencies as set out under section 10 of the Children Act 2004
- registered providers and managers of children’s residential care, including private, voluntary and public sector providers
- children who are in residential care and their families
It provides a framework for practice for providers of children’s homes, including secure children’s homes, based on the importance of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of individual children.
The relationship between legislation, statutory guidance and practice guidance is set out in Annex A.
This is volume 5 in a series of 5 related statutory guidance publications.