If your organisation is recognised as a charity by HMRC but you need to tell us about significant changes to your organisation, you can either:
- use the online service
- fill in the postal form on-screen, print and post to HMRC
To use the online service, you’ll need the Government Gateway user ID and password you used when you registered your charity with HMRC.
You cannot use the online form if any of the individuals you’ve named on it do not have a National Insurance number. Instead, you must use the postal version of the form and explain the circumstances in the form’s ‘notes’ space.
Significant changes could be to:
- contact details
- authorised officials
- bank account details
Before you start
The postal form is interactive (one that you complete on screen) and you must use Adobe Reader to complete it. Downloading Adobe Reader is free. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
HMRC is creating new versions of their forms that do not depend on Adobe Reader. While this work is in progress the following methods can be used to ensure the postal form will download or open in Adobe Reader:
- whatever browser you are using, review your settings to make Adobe Reader the default program for opening PDF documents
- Windows users should right click on the form link then select ‘Save target as’ or ‘Save link as’
- Mac users should right click on the form link then select “Save linked file as”
- save the form - the recommended place is in the documents folder
- using Adobe Reader you can open the form
If the postal form still does not open, contact the Online Services helpdesk for more help.
Charities and tax
Guidance about tax reliefs for charities, when tax has to be paid and when you can claim tax back.