Become a registered early years or childcare provider in England
This Ofsted guide provides information about applying to join the Early Years Register and Childcare Register.
MS Word Document, 861KB
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
PDF, 642KB, 50 pages
This guidance came into effect on 1 January 2016. It replaced the following guidance:
- Early years and childcare providers: registration and suitability handbook
- How to register on the Childcare Register
- How to register on the Early Years Register
- Childcare Register requirements for childcare providers on non-domestic or domestic premises
- Childcare Register requirements for childminders and home childcarers
- Types of childcare that don’t need to register with Ofsted
- Early Years Register: preparing for your registration visit
Visit Ofsted Online to apply online to join the Childcare Register or the Early Years Register.
Published: 22 December 2015
Updated: 8 July 2016
- Minor changes as follows: Annex A, page 31, item 11 of the registration not required table - removed the text ‘excluding childminders’. Page 12, para 46 - added a footnote to clarify the definition of a ‘governing body’, in the context of an organisation.
- First published.