Badgers: licence for internal drainage boards to interfere with setts for drainage operations
Get a licence to interfere with badger setts for the purpose of undertaking watercourse or drainage maintenance operations (form CL27).
PDF, 235KB, 5 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This licence can only be used by employees or contractors of the internal drainage boards.
This licence allows you to interfere with badger setts for the purpose of conducting the following watercourse or drainage maintenance operations:
- cutting bank vegetation with hand tools or a tractor-mounted flail
- cutting bank vegetation and processing it with a purpose-built harvester
- cutting mid-channel vegetation with a 360 degree excavator
- reforming banks with a 360 degree excavator
- desilting drainage beds with a 360 degree excavator
- maintaining low-level drainage culverts with a 360 degree excavator
The licence can’t be used to interfere with badger setts that are causing problems in flood defences and reservoir dams.
Register to use this licence
This is a class licence. You need to notify Natural England in writing that you wish to use it. You must be eligible to register for this licence, that is be employed or contracted to work for the internal drainage boards.
If you’re working on behalf of an internal drainage board, you’ll also need to provide the name and contact details for a drainage board member of staff who can confirm that you’re a contractor working for them.
Write to or email:
Telephone 020 802 61089
How to report your actions
You must send an annual record of any watercourse or drainage maintenance operations conducted under this licence to Natural England by 31 January each year. You should send your report using this licence report form.
Sending an annual report also renews your registration to use this licence.
Published: 6 October 2014
Updated: 1 January 2017
- Annual licence update 2017.
- Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2016.
- new version of CL27 valid from 1 January to 31 December 2015.
- First published.