Atkins Model Development Report PFMv3.0-PFMv4.3
This report describes further development of the PFM model to create a revised version of the model which is termed PFMv4.3.
The updates to the model included:
- Updates to the base year rail, highway and air matrices to include revisions to the journey purposes in the rail matrices, the development of new highway matrices derived from the DfT’s Long Distance Model and revised air matrices from the DfT’s Aviation Model. These matrices were also developed in Production/Attraction format (PA) to allow for potential changes to the PFM demand model;
- Updates to the demand forecasts to reflect revised OBR growth forecasts. This was part of a wider package of model development that included moving to using revised forecasting parameters from the Passenger Demand Forecasting Handbook v5 (PDFHv5) and updating the PLANET South matrices;
- Updates to the rail, highway and air networks to reflect latest assumptions;
- An update to the crowding methodology to incorporate the latest guidance found in PDFHv5;
- Other model developments including introducing the method of successive averages (MSA) to the mode choice algorithm in PLANET Long Distance and moving PFM to the EMME3 software; and
- Adjusting appraisal values to ensure consistency with the latest OBR growth forecasts used to develop the demand forecasts.