How to apply for a UK engineering fishing CoC

Information on how to apply for a UK fishing certificate of competence for engineers.


Engineering fishing certificates of competency

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Fishing vessels over 750kW (Approx 1005 HP) must carry two engineers, a chief engineer holding a fishing class 1 and a second engineer holding a class 2.

This is regardless of the vessel’s length, tonnage and area of operation.

To be issued with a class 1 you must hold a UK or Irish class 2.

Published 6 May 2014