Appeal refusal of consent for work on an SSSI

You can use this form to appeal if Natural England refuses you consent for an activity on a site of special scientific interest (SSSI).



Use this appeal form or write a letter to Defra (including the information requested in the form), if you disagree with the reasons Natural England gives for refusing you consent for works on an SSSI.

You’ll also need to read guidance on appealing a refusal of consent, which will help you decide whether to:

  • appeal by written representations
  • appeal by hearing
  • appeal by inquiry

The process and timings will depend on the type of appeal you request.

Published 2 June 2015
Last updated 25 February 2019 + show all updates
  1. Updated the form (correcting the address for sending completed forms).
  2. Updated to include the correct address to send completed forms which is: Programme Office and Casework Management Team, Horizon House (2nd Floor), Deanery Road, Bristol. BS1 5AH
  3. First published.