Air accident monthly bulletin March 2017
The AAIB Bulletin is a compilation of AAIB reports and is published on the second Thursday of the month.
PDF, 4.8MB, 48 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
March Bulletin 3/2017
AAIB Field Investigations
A field investigation is an independent investigation in which AAIB investigators collect, record and analyse evidence.
The process may include, attending the scene of the accident or serious incident; interviewing witnesses; reviewing documents, procedures and practices; examining aircraft wreckage or components; and analysing recorded data.
The investigation, which can take a number of months to complete, will conclude with a published report.
General Aviation - Fixed wing
- DA 40 (G-CBFA), nose gear leg failed whilst taxiing, Old Warden Aerodrome, Bedfordshire, 16 July 2016
AAIB Correspondence Investigations
These are reports on accidents and incidents which were not subject to a Field Investigation.
They are wholly, or largely, based on information provided by the aircraft commander in an Aircraft Accident Report Form (AARF) and in some cases additional information from other sources.
The accuracy of the information provided cannot be assured.
Commercial Air Transport
- Airbus A319-131 (G-DBCB), fumes in the cockpit when descending to London Gatwick Airport, 21 October 2016
- Airbus A319-111 (G-EZMH), smell of smoke in rear galley, London Gatwick Airport, 31 December 2016
- BN2A MK.III-2 Trislander (G-RLON), damage to runway edge light, Alderney Airport, Channel Islands, 10 November 2016
- Boeing 737-8K5 (G-FDZY), birdstrike during takeoff caused engine damage and diversion with overweight landing, Bournemouth Airport, Dorset, 10 January 2017
- Flitzer Z-1S (G-ECVZ), aircraft struck a ditch during an attempted go-around, Priory Farm, Tibenham, Norfolk, 29 October 2016
- Pioneer 300 (G-CEIX), landing gear did not indicate down and locked and subsequently collapsed, Wellesbourne Mountford Airfield, Warwickshire, 6 September 2016
- Piper PA-28-151 (G-CCZV) and Piper PA-28-161 (G-BZBS), mid-air collision, near Elstree Aerodrome, Hertfordshire, 30 September 2016
- Piper PA-28-180 (G-AVSB), runway excursion resulting in the nose landing gear collapsing, Cumbernauld Airport, North Lanarkshire, 19 October 2016
- Piper PA-32R-300 Lance (N83VK), loss of directional control after landing, Stapleford Aerodrome, Essex, 28 October 2016
- Piper PA-44-180 (G-BGCO), loss of directional control on landing, Warton Aerodrome, Lancashire, 19 October 2016
- Pitts S-1S (G-BXTI), loss of control on landing, Southerness, Dumfries, 12 October 2016
- Socata TB10 (G-MRTN), engine fire and forced landing, near Henstridge Airfield, Somerset, 27 August 2016
- Vans RV-9A (G-RPRV), aircraft inverted following nose landing gear collapse after landing, Nympsfield Airfield, Gloucestershire, 23 August 2016
Sport Aviation / Balloons
- Cyclone AX2000 (G-CBGS), runway excursion, Longside Airfield, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, 9 October 2016
- Gemini Flash IIA (G-MVMZ), wingtip contacted ground during landing roll, Private Airstrip, Mitton, Penkridge, Staffordshire, 23 July 2016
- HAV Airlander 10 (G-PHRG), hard landing during test flight, Cardington Airfield, Bedfordshire, 24 August 2016
- Ikarus C42 FB100 (G-CEHG), overturned on landing, Farm Strip, Hardwicke, Hay-on-Wye, 11 November 2016
- Shadow Series DD (G-MGTW), propeller failure, Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire, 24 October 2016