This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
How the government is improving the quality of our rivers and inland water-bodies.
Published: 9 April 2013
Updated: 8 May 2015
- Policy document from the 2010 to 2015 government preserved in a different format for reference
- Updated the section on Septic tanks and small sewage treatment systems as new guidance available on what you need to do if you have a septic tank or sewage treatment plan.
- Septic tanks and small sewage treatment systems section updated to reflect the new approach to how small sewage discharges are regulated announced today.
- Updated to include latest consultation on draft river basin and flood risk plans.
- Added section on catchment based approach.
- Updated to reflect that a government response outlining the way forward for septic tanks and small sewage treatment systems permitting has been published.
- Updated to reflect that small sewage discharge consultation has now published summary of responses.
- Updated bathing water section to reflect that a new bathing water collection bringing together information for bathers and local authorities now exists.
- Updated to reflect that we are currently inviting comments on the guidance for the latest round of river basin management plans.
- Updated to reflect that we are now consulting on how we regulate small sewage discharges.
- Updated bathing waters section and water framework directive to include Environment Agency's role.
- Updated information on groundwater.
- Updated information on misconnections.
- Revised information under the 'Septic tanks and small sewage treatment systems' heading.
- Included section on slurry management and storage.
- Updated bathing waters entry on supporting page: Planning for better water to reflect that compliance reports for 2013 have now been published.
- Updated the pesticides section within the "Reducing and controlling agricultural pollution" supporting page - adding information on how we are reducing the risk of polluting water sources and drinking water from pesticides.
- First published.