Elizabeth Truss was appointed Chief Secretary to the Treasury on 11 June 2017. She was elected as the Conservative MP for south west Norfolk in 2010.
Elizabeth studied philosophy, politics and economics at Merton College, Oxford.
Elizabeth entered Parliament in 2010. She was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Education and Childcare in September 2012. Elizabeth served as the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs from July 2014 until July 2016.
She was Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice from July 2016 until June 2017.
Career outside politics
Elizabeth was previously Deputy Director at Reform. She also worked in the energy and telecommunications industry for 10 years as a commercial manager and economics director, and is a qualified management accountant.
Elizabeth is married with 2 children.
Chief Secretary to the Treasury
The Chief Secretary (CST) is responsible for:
- public expenditure, including:
- spending reviews and strategic planning
- in-year spending control
- public sector pay and pensions
- Annually Managed Expenditure (AME) and welfare reform
- efficiency and value for money in public service
- capital investment
- infrastructure spending
- housing and planning
- spending issues related to trade
- transport policy, including HS2, Crossrail 2, Roads, Network Rail, Oxford/Cambridge corridor
- Treasury interest in devolution to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- women in the economy
- childcare policy, including tax free childcare
- tax credits policy
- labour market policy
The Chief Secretary should be engaged on all issues of public spending.
Previous roles in government
- Promoting the UK as an investment destination
- Life-changing tech industries and fabulous foods of Somerset are key to the UK economy, says Liz Truss
- Scottish Secretary welcomes Moray Growth Deal milestone
- “Enterprise and entrepreneurship is transforming the Scottish economy”, says Liz Truss
- Market Millennials: Speech by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury at the Cato Institute
- "Bound together by a shared belief in liberty": Liz Truss reaffirms UK and US economic relationship
- Exports worth toasting: from Colombia to Cameroon, the East Midlands on track for record export year, says Liz Truss
- Liz Truss: Selling Bedfordshire naan bread to India is the ultimate embodiment of global Britain
- Chief Secretary heralds beer exports from Bungay, Suffolk, all the way to Brazil
- £700 million South West food exports are vital to economic success