2010 to 2015 government policy: consumer protection
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
How the government is changing some laws to help consumers.
Published: 12 December 2012
Updated: 8 May 2015
- Policy document from the 2010 to 2015 government preserved in a different format for reference
- Added information about new ADR regulations being laid before Parliament.
- Information about the Consumer Rights Act 2015 was added.
- The ‘Statement of principles for parcel deliveries’ was published on 31 July 2014 to help businesses make online delivery charges clearer to consumers.
- Update on the Consumer Rights Bill currently going through Parliament.
- 'Personal data' supporting detail page: The government has extended its internal deadline for reviewing progress on the midata programme from summer 2013 to March 2014 in order to give the industry more time to deliver results. 'Giving more power to consumers' supporting detail page: Updated actions taken by government since the publication of the 'Better choices: better deals' report in April 2011.
- Updated as the Draft Consumer Rights Bill was published.
- Added action and detail on food labelling and information as part of Defra's transition to GOV.UK
- Early implementation of a ban on above cost payment surcharges - new regulations were laid before Parliament on 19 December 2012 and will come into force on 6 April 2013.
- Who we're working with... links added.
- First published.