We submit a report to the government each October making recommendations on the future level of the National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage rates, and related matters.
Who we are
There are 9 Low Pay Commissioners drawn from a range of employee, employer and academic backgrounds. .
All the commissioners serve in an individual capacity. They are supported by a secretariat, which has 8 members of staff and is based in London. Details of the names and job titles of secretariat staff members can be found in the organogram.
We are responsible for:
- carrying out extensive research and consultation, and commissioning research projects
- analysing relevant data and actively encouraging the Office of National Statistics to establish better estimates of the incidence of low pay
- carrying out surveys of firms in low-paying sectors
- consulting with employers, workers and their representatives and taking written and oral evidence from a wide range of organisations
- making fact-finding visits throughout the UK to meet employers, employees and representative organisations