Complaints procedure

How to make a complaint about the Environment Agency’s service or appeal against a regulatory decision.

Standards of service

We have published our customer service commitment, showing what you can expect from us.

Contact us

If you’re unhappy with the service we have provided, please contact us.

General enquiries

National Customer Contact Centre
PO Box 544
S60 1BY

Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.

Due to the current health emergency we have reduced the times our phone lines are open. This is under review and we hope to be able to extend them soon. If possible please contact us by email at

The impact of COVID-19 on our teams means you may experience some delays in responses as most of our staff will be working from home. We are currently unable to deal with post sent to our offices in the usual way.

Find out about call charges

What happens next

If you’re not happy with our response to your complaint please let us know. We’ll escalate it to a manager. The manager will review your complaint and write to you again. If you’re not satisfied with the manager’s response you can contact the relevant ombudsman.


We want to get things right first time for our regulated customers. If you disagree with a regulatory decision we have made you can appeal to us and ask us to review it. You should make your appeal to us promptly, in writing, and normally within 14 days of being told about our decision.

Making an appeal to us in this way does not affect any statutory right of appeal you may have, the time limits within which a statutory appeal must be made, or your right to consider asking the courts to review our decision or to make a complaint to the Ombudsman.

If you want to make an appeal please contact us through

Please note that if we receive a request for review from an interested party rather than a regulated customer, we will treat this as a complaint.

Victims’ Right to Review

In cases where we are the regulator and have decided not to prosecute an offender for a criminal offence an identified victim can sometimes ask us to review that decision, but only in certain circumstances. To find out what these circumstances are you can email

Normally we know the identity of victims and will ask them if they want a decision not to prosecute to be reviewed. A victim must tell us within 5 working days if they do want that decision reviewed.

Contacting the ombudsman

The ombudsman is independent of the Environment Agency and will only consider complaints after we have had the chance to resolve them.

The Local Government Ombudsman can only look at complaints about flood defence and land drainage issues.

Telephone: 0300 061 0614

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman can look at complaints about all other aspects of our work. Your complaint must be made through your local MP.

Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Contacting the Information Commissioner

If you’re unhappy with the way we have managed your request for information, or with the way we have charged for or licensed your re-use of information, you can contact the Information Commissioner.

Telephone: 0303 123 1113

Find out about call charges