Research at DCMS
Details of the research done by and for DCMS and our sponsored bodies.
Evidence helps us see what is really happening in our sectors. It means we can assess and improve our work. To provide this evidence we collate statistical data and commission specific studies. Our sponsored bodies also publish their own research reports.
More information is available about our research in the following areas:
The ‘Taking Part’ survey is a national survey of culture, leisure and sport.
The CASE programme, a joint research programme to strengthen our understanding of how best to deliver culture and sporting opportunities of the highest quality to the widest audience generating the best outcomes for society.
Research studies exploring in depth the issues that face our sectors and ways we can address them.
Authoritative statistics on all kinds of subjects related to our sectors.
Guidance and methods
Guidance on how we gather our information and the standards to which we adhere.
Many of our public bodies have research teams which commission and publish work on their sectors. Links to their research pages are listed below:
- Arts Council
- Big Lottery Fund
- Gambling Commission
- Geffrye Museum
- Heritage Lottery Fund
- Historic England
- Information Commissioner’s Office
- National Archives
- National Lottery Commission
- Royal Parks
- Sport England
- UK Sport
The DCMS Longitudinal Library documents all longitudinal surveys containing questions relevant to the DCMS sectors (culture, media and sport).
Below is a list of other sites which contain useful research and statistical information on DCMS sectors.
- Arts and Humanities Research Board
- European and International information services for the Arts and Cultural Sector
- Gambling European Association for the Study of Gambling
- Gamcare - UK body which deals with problem gambling
- UK Society for the Study of Gambling
- Office of Communication (Ofcom) - licenses and regulates commercially funded TV in the UK
- Broadcast, film, video and interactive media