This charter explains how we handle and share your personal information, and what we need from you to keep it up to date.
How we use your information
When we ask you for personal information, we promise to:
- make sure you know why we need it
- only ask for what we need, and not to collect too much or irrelevant information
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- let you know if we share it with other organisations to give you better public services - and whether you can say no
- make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary
We won’t make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date
- how to make a complaint
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to find out what personal information we hold about you
You have a right to request a copy of your personal details at any time to check the accuracy of the information held. Email your request to email@example.com, or write to us at:
Data Protection Officer
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
1 Victoria Street
- be specific about the information you want
- explain why you expect us to hold your personal information (if it isn’t obvious)
- include proof of identity
Proof of identity
Before we can act on your request, you will need to supply proof of your identity. This should include:
- a photocopy of the identification pages of your current passport or of a current photo driving licence
- the original of a current utilities bill (for example, gas or electricity), or credit card or bank statement, which includes your name and current address
These can be returned to you if required.
If you do not have any of these forms of identification, contact the Data Protection Officer, who will help you.
When we ask you for information, we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998. For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact:
The Information Commissioner
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 545 745
Fax: 01625 524 510
Website: The Information Commissioner
GOV.UK puts small files (known as ‘cookies’) onto your computer to collect information about how you browse the site. Find out more about cookies.
We use the following cookies:
|gwallet.com||Build up audience segment based on those who visit landing page and/or click on our ‘smart links’||1 year|
This cookie allows our service provider, RadiumOne, to collect information when you use its ‘Po.st’ sharing tool to share links to pages or content on our sites. RadiumOne uses this information to identify the interests of people who share Po.st links and also people who click on those links, in order to deliver advertising that is relevant to people’s interests.