Spanish state visit 2017
King Felipe IV and Queen Letizia of Spain came to the UK on the first official Spanish state visit in more than 30 years.
Their Majesties the King and Queen of Spain came to the UK on a 3-day state visit to the United Kingdom from 12 to 14 July, at the invitation of Her Majesty the Queen.
This was the first state visit to the UK by King Felipe and Queen Letizia. The last state visit from Spain was by King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia in 1986.
The visit celebrated the very close royal, historic, cultural and commercial ties between our 2 countries.
Watch the highlights of the Spanish state visit:
Find out more about the historic Spanish state visit.
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson welcomed the King and Queen of Spain to the UK:
The UK and Spain are close allies: partners in NATO, the UN, G7 and G20 among numerous international organisations. We continue to co-operate in the European Union, and once the UK leaves the EU we want to strengthen our strong and constructive UK-Spain bilateral relationship.
The UK and Spain are major business partners. Spain is the 10th largest export market for UK companies, the UK exports more to Spain than India and Brazil combined.
Read the International Trade Secretary Liam Fox’s speech celebrating the UK-Spain trading relationship.
British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley talks about the close ties between our 2 countries:
State visit announcements
- Prime Minister Theresa May: Spain’s state visit is an opportunity to celebrate our longstanding partnership
- The Prime Minister’s meeting with King Felipe IV
- International Trade Secretary Liam Fox’s speech celebrating the UK-Spain trading relationship
- Completion of phase 1 of Luton Airport’s transformation announced at the Spain-UK Business Forum
On their final day the King and Queen of Spain went to the Francis Crick Institute and also visited Oxford University.
State visit on social media
- hashtag #SpainStateVisit
- @ForeignOffice, FCO on Facebook and @UKinSpain
- @RoyalFamily and @CasaReal
- @Number10gov and @tradegovuk
Photos from the state visit
King Felipe outside 10 Downing Street with the Prime Minister. View more photos from the first 2 days of the state visit.