Local Charities Day: 16th December
Putting small, local charities and community groups into the spotlight.
- Government announces Local Charities Day will take place on 16 December 2016
- Local Charities Day will celebrate small, local charities and community groups
- Minister for Civil Society encourages citizens to donate to local good causes through Localgiving’s ‘Grow Your Tenner’ and #GiveMe5 campaigns, which government is supporting with £250,000 of match funding
Local Charities Day will put small, local charities and community groups into the spotlight, helping them thrive and demonstrate the great work they do in their areas.
- Read Rob Wilson’s blog on how you can get involved
- Show your support by signing up to the #LocalCharitiesday Thunderclap
- Add the #LocalCharitiesDay twibbon to your social media accounts
Minister for Civil Society, Rob Wilson, said:
On Local Charities Day, I want us all to shout from the rooftops about small, local charities: their energy, commitment, expertise and the benefits they bring to their communities.
We have already done a huge amount of work for small and local charities, reducing regulation and introducing a Bill to parliament which will make Gift Aid even more flexible and generous.
There is more to do, and Local Charities Day and campaigns like Grow Your Tenner give us a chance to ensure that these responsive, locally engaged and committed organisations get the recognition they deserve, helping us build a Britain that works for everyone.
I would encourage as many people as possible to donate to a local cause through the ‘Grow Your Tenner’ campaign, helping us build a compassionate Britain that works for everyone.
In the lead up to Local Charities Day on 16th December, government is providing match funding for Localgiving’s ‘Grow Your Tenner’ campaign.
The Office for Civil Society has provided £250,000 in match funding to boost ‘Grow Your Tenner’ and support a #GiveMe5 campaign which will run on Local Charities Day. This brings the total match funding available for local charities participating in the campaigns to £350,000.
Grow Your Tenner will match one time donations from the public by up to £10 and monthly direct debits by up to £10 for the first three months. #GiveMe5 will give people another opportunity to get involved and support charities in their area by matching 1,000 £5 donations made on Local Charities Day - December 16.