News story

International Driving Permits (IDPs): the facts

An IDP is a permit that may be needed, in addition to your driving licence, if you plan to drive abroad.

IDPs are already needed if you plan to drive in many countries outside the EU or European Economic Area (EEA) countries.

You only need an IDP if you are definitely going to travel abroad.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal IDPs may also be required to drive in EU or EEA countries.

There are three different types of IDP in use. You may need more than one IDP depending on which countries you are visiting.

Find out if you need IDPs for your journey – and if so which types – by checking the latest information or from the Post Office.

There is no requirement for UK licence holders visiting EU or EEA countries to undertake any additional test to drive after the UK leaves the EU.

IDPs cost £5.50 and can be obtained over the counter at 2,500 Post Offices around the UK.

Published 29 March 2019
Last updated 11 October 2019 + show all updates
  1. Added translation

  2. Welsh translation added.

  3. First published.