Heritage ‘angels’ win awards
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Scheme highlights people rescuing their local heritage.
From canals to First World War airfields, restoration projects around the country have been celebrated at a gala awards ceremony today.
The English Heritage Angel Awards, founded last year by Andrew Lloyd Webber, recognise the efforts of local people in rescuing their heritage.
The ceremony in London’s West End was hosted by TV presenter Clare Balding, with awards handed out by a host of well-known faces including Graham Norton and Culture Minister Ed Vaizey.
Simon Thurley, Chief Executive of English Heritage said: “Once again we have been dazzled by the energy, invention, commitment and public spiritedness of thousands of people determined to save their precious heritage. While the angel awards were presented to five people, we are all winners, as we can now enjoy the historic places they have saved for the future.”
Andrew Lloyd Webber, who chaired the judging panel, said: “I think it is hugely important to publicly recognise the efforts of those rescuing heritage sites in order to show our appreciation for their work and encourage even more people across the country to do the same.”
- Angel Award for the Best Rescue of an Industrial Building or Site: Max Sinclair for The Droitwich Canals, Wychavon, Worcestershire
- Angel Award for the Best Rescue of any Heritage Building or Site: Cockermouth Shopfront Steering Group for Main Street, Cumbria
- Angel Award for the Best Repair of a Place of Worship: Pauline Burkitt and Simon Pleasley, Church Wardens for St Mary’s Church, West Somerton, Norfolk
- Angel Award for the Best Craftsmanship Employed on a Heritage Rescue: Station Developments for Tynemouth Station, North Tyneside
- Angel Award voted for by English Heritage followers and Telegraph readers : Russell Savory, Friends of Stow Maries Aerodrome, for Stow Maries World War I Airfield, Maldon, Essex
- English Heritage press release with further details
- Find out who won at the Angel Awards 2011
- Read more about Stow Maries Aerodrome, which was listed by DCMS earlier this year
- What we do: historic environment