- improving energy efficiency
- reducing the intensity of greenhouse gas emissions
- addressing the economic, social, environmental and other challenges posed by climate change
- following low emission sustainable development strategies
- implementing adaptation and mitigation measures and actions
- limiting the potential increase in the global temperature.
The agreements built upon commitments pledged by the regions at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in Copenhagen in December 2009. Further discussions in the region support this progress.
The regions are now working towards transparent and inclusive negotiations at the Conference of the Parties (COP16) in Mexico in November 2010. The goal is to achieve a comprehensive, ambitious and effective legally binding deal.