The Home Office’s National Counter Terrorism Security Office and the Government Decontamination Service are funding a competition to explore and develop innovative new methods of chemical decontamination. Around £300,000 will be available to fund projects, each with an expected value of up to £50,000.
Chemical contamination can be a risk to human life and the wider environment. The priority of GDS is to support local authorities in decontaminating and reinstating areas.
The aim of this competition is to address 2 challenges:
- how best to decontaminate building materials
- how to develop new or improved simulants that mimic how chemicals react on common building surfaces
Innovate UK will run this competition through SBRI, the Small Business Research Initiative. We will offer businesses with the most promising solution a government contract to test and prove their innovation.
- this competition is open now
- we expect projects to range in value up to £50,000
- the deadline for registration is noon on 11 November 2015
- there will be a briefing event for applicants in London on 14 October 2015