The Minister of State for Health leads on the following:
- finance, procurement and operational performance
- workforce pay and pensions, contracts, and whistleblowing
- setting the government’s mandate for NHS England
- transformation and provider policy
Current role holder: Stephen Hammond MP
Stephen Hammond was appointed to be a Minister of State in the Department of Health and Social Care on 16 November 2018.
He was previously Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport from 4 September 2012 to 15 July 2014. He is the Conservative MP for Wimbledon.
Stephen was educated at The King Edward VI School in Southampton and studied at the University of London.
- MP for Wimbledon 2005 to present
- Shadow Secretary of State Transport 2005 to 2010
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Rt Hon Eric Pickles MP 2010 to 2012
- Parliamentary Under Secretary for Transport September 2012 to present
Career outside politics
Stephen worked for a leading fund management company and a number of investment banks, including Dresdner Kleinwort Benson and Commerzbank Securities. He was elected as a local councillor in 2002.
Stephen is married and has a daughter. Stephen played hockey for his county and still plays for the Wimbledon veterans team.
Previous holders of this role
- 2018 to 2018