Applies to England, Scotland and Wales
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
We received 1,276 responses to the consultation.
The government has decided to introduce the proposals set out in the consultation to:
- change the way some driving licences are upgraded from automatic to manual entitlement when a driver passes certain driving tests
- reduce the size of motorcycles that can be used for the A2 category motorcycle test, as measured by the cubic capacity of their engine
We’ll need to amend regulations to do this, which we’ll seek to do as soon as possible.
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency is seeking views on proposals to:
- allow drivers who pass a driving test in certain categories of automatic vehicles to drive a manual vehicle in that category, as long as they can already drive a manual vehicle in a different category
- reduce the minimum motorcycle engine capacity that’s needed for a standard motorcycle (subcategory A2) test from 395cc to 245cc
The categories of vehicles the first proposal affects are:
- car and trailers (B+E)
- medium-sized lorries (C1), and medium-sized lorries towing a trailer (C1+E)
- minibuses (D1), and minibuses towing a trailer (D1+E)