Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
Outlines how we plan to proceed with the following policies:
- a statutory code to govern the relationship between pub owning companies and their tied tenants
- an independent adjudicator to enforce the code, arbitrate disputes and impose sanctions on pub owning companies if they fail to comply
The impact assessment is not the latest version. See the updated version.
- the press release
- our response to the BIS Select Committee’s report
- the revised Draft Pubs Code published in November 2014
- the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill factsheet on the Pubs Code Adjudicator and the Pubs Code
Detail of feedback received
We received over 1,100 written responses to the consultation and over 7,000 responses to the online questionnaire.
The government is keen to support a thriving and diverse pubs sector. There have been longstanding and serious concerns raised about the relationship between large pub companies and their tenants. The government is consulting on proposals to establish a Statutory Code and an independent Adjudicator for the pubs sector to govern the relationship between large pub companies and their tenants.
In the video below, Jo Swinson, Minister for Employment Relations and Consumer Affairs, and Mike Benner, Chief Executive of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), discuss the government’s proposals.