Detail of outcome
This report provides a summary of the responses to the government’s consultation on ‘Options for a new Lower Thames Crossing’.
The government believes providing a new road based Thames crossing in the Lower Thames area is necessary to relieve congestion at the existing Dartford-Thurrock crossing and to support national and regional growth in the Thames Gateway.
The government received 5,776 responses to the consultation. About 95% of the responses were from members of the public and about 5% from representative. organisations, including including local authorities, businesses and environmental groups.
Detail of feedback received
A summary of responses was published in the ‘Options for a new Lower Thames Crossing: consultation response summary’.
Related documents about the Lower Thames Crossing
- Government rules out option for Lower Thames crossing, 12 December 2013
- Lower Thames Crossing, written statement, 12 December 2013
This consultation ran from 21 May 2013 12:00am to
16 July 2013 11:45pm
Consultation on the location for a new Lower Thames Crossing.
This consultation is designed to gather views on the preferred location for additional road-based river crossing capacity in the Lower Thames area.
Responses to this consultation will form part of the evidence base that government will use to make a decision on where to locate a new crossing.
The location options considered are:
- option A: at the site of the existing A282 Dartford-Thurrock crossing
- option B: connecting the A2 with the A1089
- option C: connecting the M2 with the A13 and the M25 between junctions 29 and 30
- option C variant: connecting the M2 with the A13 and the M25 between junctions 29 and 30, and additionally widening the A229 between the M2 and the M20
- Options for a new Lower Thames Crossing video
- Lower Thames Crossing model capability report
- Lower Thames Crossing design and costing report
- Lower Thames Crossing operating costs, maintenance costs and revenues report
- Central forecasts and sensitivity tests report
- Review of Lower Thames Crossing options: final review report